Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Let's Talk About Socks (baby?)

As you may recall, I started out the year with goals. Real, silly, and optimistic goals that I kind of managed to stick to for the first month (and third and kinda fourth). I really wanted to spend 2011 breaking out of the spell that knit hats seemed to have cast upon me and knit new things. My FO count has dwindled as each month has passed (excuse me for walking and designing and being silly), but I have tried new things. This year has seen shawls, shrugs, a pullover, 1.5 cardigans (I still hate you, February goal), fingerless mitts...and a few hats.

But the one goal that should have been accomplished in May (and then August) brings me to this very post: the sock.

I'm not scared of socks, but it would be a lie to say that they don't intimidate me. I've heard about second sock syndrome from countless people and I can share their pain. Remember the 6ish single gloves/mittens I have lying around? Yeah, remember these guys (and their lost little friends)?


So, yeah. SSS. I am a little intimidated. But I will survive! And celebrate my first Socktoberfest!



The yarn I've elected to use is  Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in "Rustic Wedding," the Jimmy Beans Wool exclusive color for September. If you know me, then you know that I love me some Lorna's Laces and some Jimmy Beans. Every month I look so forward to the JBW exclusive color, and while I have bought quite a few (oh man. Harry Potter madness), I decided that Rustic Wedding is the perfect, perfect first sock color. A couple of my crafty ladies were supposed to buy it too *cough, cough*, but they decided to be responsible. Boo. Hiss.


The colors in "Rustic Wedding" are nothing that I usually go for, but the combination was just too beautiful to not buy. As it is a variegated yarn, my sock options are a little limited in terms of what I usually go for (cables, lace, etc.). But there are some crazy beautiful sock patterns out there that were just  *made* for variegated yarns.


Like Monkeys. As you can see, October has not necessarily yielded me a bountiful, socky harvest. While I have knit a few more repeats since that photo was taken (this post has been sitting in Knit Blog Limbo for far too long), I still kind of suck at this goal thing. I selected Monkeys as my first sock because the pattern is interesting and simple without being boring. I like to challenge myself and I didn't want to do plain vanilla stockinette socks. Monkeys have managed to keep me entertained and make me think, but I'm still able to throw them in my purse (carefully) and lug them around the city with me.

And the colors...oh my. I love Rustic Wedding even more now that I've started knitting with it. On my size 1 DPNS (oh god, whyyyyyyy?). Maybe I will be able to finish one before November 1, but my hands have run away from me and picked up too many other projects. Too. Much. Knitting.

Did I mention that Christmas is only two months away? Maybe my second Monkey will have to wait...

*smacks self in face*

Happy Knitting!
-Ashley




4 comments:

  1. Wish you two finished socks by Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, yea. Do you remember the crazy amount of sock yarn I own? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monkeys were my first socks too! Good luck beating second sock syndrome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your rounded-edge photos! Your monkeys look absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete