Monday, January 2, 2012

Relocation AKA what do I knit?

I'm heading back to Philly bright and early tomorrow morning. 6am flight? Oh, how you slay me. While I'm excited to get back to my own space and the excitement of my new city, this time around I can't help but feel bittersweet about leaving home. Things have been stressful and kind of worrisome within my family (well, actually, both of my families) these past two weeks and it has definitely made me appreciate them all so much more. I'm not exactly the warm and fuzzy person towards my family, but I can't help feeling torn a bit about leaving right now.

Not to mention the fact that I have to leave my four wonderful cats behind. And that pains me more than it should. Yep, I'm a full-blown cat mama. And they are my babies.

See? Look at this adorable little creature.

So now, with a mere 13 hours until my flight, I have to plan out my knitting for the next few months. I don't have a set return time for my next visit, packing on the added pressure of making the "right" decisions for my next knitting endeavors. And packing the right needles. And notions. And Ack!! Did I mention that I'm the kind of person who packs three-four projects for a weekend trip? "Just in-case."

While this post may serve as the BIGGEST first world problem ever, the question remains: what in the world do I pack?

-All of my WIPs. If only for the needles. This includes my Cladonia, Orchid Thief Shawl, Rock Island Shawl, Lemon Zinger hat, Matt's sleeves for his Ranger sweater,  and My TWO new cowl designs.
-Coastal Knits, which is a CRAZY impressive book that I bought myself for Christmas. I kind of want to knit everything in it. First up is the Rocky Coast Cardigan by Hannah Fettig...
-7/8 skeins of Quince & Co. Lark for said Rocky Coast Cardigan.
-4 skeins of Quince & Co. Chickadee for a new hat design I have schemed up.
-1 skein Dream in Color Smooshy in Strange Harvest for Kirsten Kapur's new mystery sock KAL (P.S. I still haven't finished my first sock. Why am I starting another pair? Because I'm nuts. Clearly.)
-1 skein of Frog Tree Pediboo in a terribly ugly yellow for a KAL with one of my best yarn bitches of Veera's Small Things hat.
-2 skeins of Classic Elite Moorland for a Habitat hat for myself.
-4 skeins of Madelinetosh Erin Heritage Wool for Driven, another Veera design. Even though I'm in love with the woman, I still have never knit a Veera design. This is the year.
-5-7 skeins of Knit Picks Palette for Peerie Flooers by Kate Davies, another woman I admire hugely. She has been through SO much and is one of my favorite designers. If you want an inspiring blog to read, definitely check out Needled.

Is it enough? Probably way too much. Will I still buy yarn? Most certainly. Even though for the time I have become disgusted with the amount of yarn I own. But you all know this already. You know that I hid yarn in my wine cabinet and my boyfriend's duffle bag. Yeah, I've seen that I get a whole lot of traffic from people searching for "storage for yarn hoarders." True facts.

This is the year of stashing down and minimal stash additions. When it comes to all aspects of life I wholeheartedly believe that you can make "bad" decisions...just in moderation. And when I say "bad" decisions, I mean things like eating chocolate cake, drinking good beer and buying soft, squishy yarns. I don't believe in giving things up in full force because it rarely (if ever) works out. At least for me.

Woo for stash control!
Geez I hope I packed enough. And I already miss my kitties. And I still need to update my Kindle and pot my Christmas knits/New Year resolutions. I'm off to a terrible start.

Happy Knitting!

3 comments:

  1. I say better take too much than too little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always go "shopping" in your stash at home next time you visit! Sometimes a long absence from the stash makes it all seem more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...too much is much less sad than too little.

    Oooo, I love the idea of shopping at home. Everytime I go back it will look like everything is new :) Awesome way to think about it.

    ReplyDelete