Friday, May 6, 2011

FO: Karen Shawl by Amy Swenson (in Tosh Pashmina)

And so the Tosh obsession presses on. It feels like I have been knitting with laceweight for the entirety of the past two months. Oh, but wait, I have. Before March, I had maybe worked on size 3-4 needles once or twice, but over the past two months I have become obsessed, which is kind of a bummer for my productivity meter.

I managed to produce a whopping ONE finished object in April and that was my Karen Shawl by Amy Swenson, which I really finished on May 3. I just have to tell myself that "it's quality, my dear Watson, not quantity." And this shawl, I must say, is quite divine. Check out the photos (you can view more at my Ravelry project page) and read about the specs and some concerns below.








For Karen, I used one skein of Madelinetosh Pashmina in "Port." And, when I say I used one skein...I used one skein. For the first time *ever* I was very certain that I would run out of yarn before I finished my project. If you too decide that you need a Karen shawl in your life, please, please, please don't attempt this with a skein smaller than 360 yards. Also, for comforts sake, knit this on a 24+ inch circular needle.

Aside from cutting it super close, the only real issue I have with this pattern is some of the directions. Dear reader, you may note (in the third photo) that there is as knit row before the edging. Well, that knit row isn't on the other side and it looks completely different. I thought I had made a mistake due to lack of attention on my part, but upon closer inspection I saw that many of the finished objects posted on Ravelry had this same issue going on. I'm still not sure if this knit row is intentional or if we all have botched it up, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I do know, however, that I will not be tearing back: it took me 4+ hours to bind off. I shall learn to live with it. Amy has designed some other awesome patterns, including the Watershed and Cloud Chaser vests, both of which I look forward to knitting. She's also from these parts and frequents the shop whenever she stops home. Thanks for all the beautiful patterns, Amy!

Pattern: Karen Shawl
Designer: Amy Swenson (Indigirl)
Yarn: Madelinetosh Pashmina in "Port"
Needles: size 6, 20 inch circular
Start: April 22, 2011
End: May 3, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment